11.20.2010

Warm Potato Salad? Check.

Well, Friendsgiving was a success and I can’t believe its already over! We spent so much time preparing, cleaning, learning about turkey roasting and coordinating who was going to bring what, and its already over! Now I’m sitting back, eating leftovers and getting ready to have ANOTHER Thanksgiving in a few days. I can’t believe it! I am so lucky. I had such a fantastic time with my wonderful friends and I know Thanksgiving with my family will be just as incredible.

Thanksgiving at my house isn’t what most would call “typical.” Like the many dishes on the table, there will be a mix of people from a myriad of backgrounds. Though we are now one big family, very few of us are actually related at all. Heres a breakdown of our crazy table:
Family Group #1: My mom passed away when I was 15 from breast cancer and in 2007 my dad remarried. My new stepmom, who is also a widower like my dad, has two children of her own. This makes a combined total of 5.

Family Group #2: Enter the in-laws. Both my dad and stepmom’s parents are deceased, but they are very close with their in-laws from their first marriages. So, though they no longer have children to visit, both sets of grandparents come to be with the rest of us anyway Add 4.

Family Group #3: The siblings. My mother’s brother and his family are always there, but they are only related to my grandparents and me. (Next is the hard one, stay with me.) My stepmom’s first husband’s sister’s husband also comes to Thanksgiving from time to time. She has also passed away and though he isn’t technically related to us, he is definitely family and so are his two boys. Add 6.
This makes a discombobulated table of 15 people. It is a table formed from the death of loved ones, but it is the happiest of tables because we understand that even loss can bring new blessings in disguise. Happy Thanksgiving to one and all. Now get your turkey on!



No comments:

Post a Comment