10.06.2010

Chivalry?



I recently took on the magnificent task (both in size and excellence) of reading Le Morte D’Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory. I’ve grown up hearing the heroic and romantic tales that Malory so masterfully wrote about, so I decided to read them for myself!
But something occurred to me as I was reading the stories of Knights and their ladies, sacrificial deaths, heart throbbing betrayal and undeniable majesty…does this chivalry still exist? Is the “honor code,” as it is referred to in the book, still upheld amongst today’s men and equally expected from women?
I started to watch those around me and take notice of the interactions between not only my friends, but people passing me on the street. What did men and women do when going through doors or how did they act when on a date at a restaurant now a days? I wanted to see if their actions would tell me anything about the presence of the honor code in today’s society and if, depending on their surroundings, it still existed.
RESULTS: I am pleased to say that, (though it was more of a glimmer than a light of hope) I saw it! I saw men opening doors for women or stopping to allow her to walk through the door first. Not every time, but I did see it. I also saw a man stop what he was doing to help a young girl carry a box that was too heavy for her. Though some women reacted politely to these “chivalric” acts, some acted indifferent.
Most of the people I observed were college students, but this might be the biggest testament that chivalry still exists. People assume that acts based on honour are “dying out” or getting less and less prominent in the lives of the younger generations, but seeing these actions amongst my peers is very reassuring!
Lastly, there are certain parts of the code that (I believe) go in and out of style. For example, opening the car door or pulling out a lady’s chair…these things are great! However, in today’s society they can sometimes seem SO chivalric that its over the top. Chivalry can be displayed in many different ways, but trying to hit every point on a first date is not a necessity, more importantly, its the thought that counts, even with the smallest act. I think maybe thats the point society has begun to strive for. Perhaps chivalry died out for a while because it is coming back in a whole new way, its no longer about social protocol, its about wanting to do or accept a kind act for another! So, ladies and genteman, keep at it, because Sir Thomas Malory would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment